What to bring on a liveaboard
So…you’ve decided to spend some time on one of our liveaboard trips? Superb! You’ll have a great time.
A Liveaboard excursion is the most relaxed and pleasant way to go diving – and it enables you to visit all the best sites and there’s the possibility to see some truly amazing underwater scenery and life. But, before you get too excited, here’s a few things to remember to bring when you visit us to book onto one of our trips and a few handy tips for liveaboard life:
- When you book in, if you’re a qualified diver, we’d like to see you diving certification card and diving log book. We just like to ensure for our own peace of mind your level and experience of diving. That way your instructor or guide can ensure we tailor the sites and depths to your experience level to ensure your safety and enjoyment. If you don’t have have your certification card with you – don’t stress! If, for example, you’re a PADI diver we can search their database provided we have your name and date of birth as it appears on your card. We can find you!
- Are you fit and healthy? Make sure there’s nothing that’s in your medical history that would prevent you from diving. We want to make sure you will be safe to scuba! We can provide you with a PADI medical form to make sure if you’re ensure, just ask or drop us a line.
- Considering doing some further scuba training while you’re on the trip? No problem! Just let us know what you’d like to do.
You’re a PADI Open Water diver but would like to do your PADI Advanced Open Water training to learn some more key skills and increase your depth limit from 18m to 30m? Just let us know and we’ll make sure the Instructor guiding you is briefed and we have the training materials ready for you.
Want to safely stay a little longer at depth? Have a think about doing your PADI Enriched Air Nitrox while you’re onboard.
Have a chat with us for full details about these courses and have a look at our website.
Now you’re booked on and ready to go – here’s a few ‘top tips’:
- Onboard space will be relatively limited and you won’t need a full wardrobe of clothes – you won’t even be bringing shoes! – so only bring what you need. T-shirts, shorts, swim shorts and, maybe, a fleece or hoodie in case you feel a little colder on deck at night. Make sure you bring some ‘dry’ clothes to change into when you’ve finished diving as there are some parts of the boat which you’ll need to have toweled off and changed before visiting – no-one likes sitting on a wet seat you’ve just left!
- Bring your dive gear!We’ll provide you with whatever you require. But, if you have any of your own personal equipment – bring it with you. For example, it’s always nicer to dive with your own mask.If there’s anything you’d like to purchase for yourself before your trip, come and see us and we’ll be happy to guide to buying suitable equipment. We have a wide selection of dive gear in Khao Lak.
- Bring any toiletries you may need; toothbrush, shampoo etc. We’re going to be a long way from the nearest shop! Worried about seasickness? Usually the waters are very calm but you can always purchase some seasickness medication from a local pharmacy before departing – we want you to have a good time!
- Remember to bring sunglasses, suncream and a hat – it gets hot out there and with the reflection from the water you get double the sun! Remember to take care of yourself!
- You’ll be well fed onboard, but if there’s anything in particular you would like to bring, buy it before departure e.g. chocolate bars.
Also, on some of our excursions you’ll be travelling to the wonderful Similan Islands by speedboat. The journey takes approximately 1.5 hours so bring a snack if you feel you may get hungry on the journey.
- Do you have any special dietary requirements? For example, are you vegetarian? Let us know when you book on so we can cater for you.
- Make sure you’re ready at pick-up/departure time – you don’t want to miss the boat!
Your Similan islands liveaboard should be an enjoyable and relaxing experience. If you have any particular concerns speak to us and we’ll do whatever we can to assist you!
Looking forward to diving with you!
Khao Lak Explorer Team